SSL and HTTPS
SSL creates a secure connection between two machines or devices over the Web or an internal network, safeguarding and allowing sensitive data to be privately transmitted. An SSL certificate is issued after verifying the authenticity of a website and identity of its owner, as indicated by the ‘S’ in https.
It's highly recommended that you run your site on an secure, ssl connection for a few reasons.
1. Without ssl, you can't add external website projects that are SSL enabled.
2. Without ssl, it's possible for malicious 3rd parties to intercept username/passwords when sent to your server
3. Without ssl, users who are using chrome will see your site marked as Not Secure, providing a poor user experience. You want users to trust your website.
Adding SSL/HTTPS to your Site (For Free)
1. Check with your hosting company. Most modern WordPress hosting will provide free SSL certificates through Let's Encrypt.
2. If your host does not provide a free SSL certificate, and you don't feel like switching hosts, we suggest obtaining a free SSL certificate through cloudflare:
Enabling/Configuring your Site to Use HTTPS/SSL.
Many times your host will configure this for you, but if you have an SSL through cloudflare or other means, we recommend using the FREE Really Simple SSL plugin. It's the easiest/quickest way to get SSL working on your site.